Pre-conference Seminar "How to Write a Good Policy Paper”
May 23, 2019
organised within the ERASMUS+ Jean Monnet Project PRACTIC - From Policy Design to Policy Practice in the European Integration Context
- Veronica Junjan, Department of Public Administration, Faculty of Behavioural, Management and Social Sciences, University of Twente, Enschede, The Netherlands, V.Junjan@utwente.nl
- Daniel Klimovský, Comenius University in Bratislava, Faculty of Arts, Department of Political Science, email@example.com
The objective of the seminar is to improve the capacities of researchers in understanding the policy making process and writing a good policy paper.
The policy paper is considerably different from the traditional academic paper, in that the findings of the research must be applied to the issue in question and used to argue for a specific set of recommendations to address the problem. As such, central to the paper is the problem-solution relationship and this is the driving force in producing a policy paper which is clearly targeted and focused on arguing for a particular policy recommendation.
The purpose of the policy paper is to provide a comprehensive and persuasive argument justifying the policy recommendations presented in the paper and therefore, to act as a decision-making tool and a call to action for the target audience.
Call for applications
Conference paper presenters - researchers focusing on European Integration processes from academic public administration, management and policy programmes are welcome to apply for the pre-conference seminar.
Participants will be selected from among the authors of research papers selected for presentations in the 27th NISPAcee Annual Conference by the project Academic Coordinators and Teachers.
The major selection criteria will be the research outcomes which would lead to policy recommendations with a potential to be developed in a form of a policy paper.
The selected participants can participate also in the Capacity Building Workshop on Policy Design and Policy Practice in the European Integration Context (May 24, 2019 afternoon).
- Role of the policy paper in the policy making process
- Types of policy papers – Policy Study and Policy Analysis
- Structure of the Policy Paper:
Review and discussion of individual papers of the participants:
- Evaluation of research methodology, results and formulation of recommendations
- Justification of recommendations
- Form of presentation in the Capacity Building Workshop for Policy Makers
Researchers capable to provide policy recommendations and write good policy papers